About English as a Second Language Ministries
Serving a multicultural and multiethnic community is a passion at Sunset Bible Church. One way we do this is by offering English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. These programs are aimed at non-native English speakers who wish to improve their conversational English skills.
English @ The Station
(Free English Conversation Classes)
We offer free English classes on Mondays at 10:00am during the school year. Some are in-person and some are on Zoom. Most of our students are intermediate to advanced. We focus on natural English conversation about real life topics, including learning about culture. The students in our program comment that this is a unique opportunity to speak English with native English speakers – improving pronunciation, listening skills, conversation skills, vocabulary, cultural understanding, reading and more.
Mondays @ 10am (Sunset @ The Station, 7909 40th St W in University Place) NOTE: We do not meet in person every Monday.
Contact: Please email Karen (email@example.com)for more details on the current schedule or to be added to a weekly update email list that includes links to videos and other English learning opportunities.
Talk Time on Zoom
(Free English Conversation Practice)
Our Talk Time program is currently available on Zoom on Saturdays from 10-11am. Native English speaking volunteers and participants from different countries meet in small breakout groups to answer questions on the topic of the week. To participate, please email Karen for the Zoom link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other International Ministries
In addition to teaching ESL classes, we provide other in-person and online assistance to internationals in the community, including:
- One-on-one English conversation partners - meet for one hour once a week.
- Discovery Bible Studies – reading a passage in the Bible, telling it from memory, answering basic questions, and talking about application. Students do not have to be experienced in the Bible to participate.
- YouTube: Better English in Tacoma channel – Visit our channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbtx7EPpnCkJ3ELIVRuWcdg) to see playlists that will help you improve your pronunciation, reading, and listening skills. Work on your own or discuss content with your tutor.
- Other “as needed” helps:
- Tutoring students enrolled in local ESL programs
- Providing advocacy and support for those in need of help
- Networking with other organizations who offer services for internationals
- Opening our hearts and homes to people who may be marginalized, lonely, and in need of genuine friends as they navigate living in a new place with a different language and culture.
To find out how you can serve our international community, or to refer an international friend to one of our ministries, please contact Karen Pease for assistance