About English as a Second Language Ministries
Serving a multicultural and multiethnic community is a passion at Sunset Bible Church. One way we do this is by offering English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. These programs are aimed at non-native English speakers who wish to improve their conversational English skills.
English @ The Station
(Free English Conversation Classes)
We offer free conversational English classes on Mondays from 10:00am to noon during the school year. We focus on natural English conversation about real life topics, including learning about culture. The students in our program comment that this is a unique opportunity to speak English with native English speakers – improving pronunciation, listening skills, conversation skills, vocabulary, cultural understanding, reading and more.
Mondays @ 10am (Sunset @ The Station, 7909 40th St W in University Place) NOTE: We do not meet on holiday weekends, so please contact us for our current schedule of classes.
Contact: Please email Karen (email@example.com) for more details on the current schedule or to be added to a weekly update email list that includes links to other English learning opportunities - including one-on-one Conversation Partners and Discovery Bible Studies (see below).
(Free English Conversation Practice)
Our Talk Time program is available on Saturdays from 10-11am. Starting September 18, 2021, it will meet at First Baptist Church of University Place (2844 Mountain View Ave W). Native English speaking volunteers and participants from different countries meet in small breakout groups to answer questions on the topic of the week. To participate, please email Karen: karen@
There are also two other free Talk Time programs in the community.
English with Friends meets in person on Mondays from 7-8pm at Lake City Community Church (8810 Lawndale Ave SW, Lakewood). Contact Allison for more info: englishwithfriendsLC3@gmail.
Virtual Talk Time meets on Zoom on Thursdays from 6-7pm through the University Place Library. Contact Maureen to register for the Zoom link: MRicksWildish@
Other International Ministries
In addition to teaching ESL classes, we provide other in-person and online
- One-on-one English conversation partners - meet for one hour once a week online or in person, based on your schedule.
- Discovery Bible Studies – reading a passage in the Bible, telling it from memory, answering basic questions, and talking about application. Students do not have to be experienced in the Bible to participate. Studies can be done online or in person, based on your schedule.
- YouTube: Better English in Tacoma channel – Visit our channel (https://www.youtube.com/
channel/ UCbtx7EPpnCkJ3ELIVRuWcdg) to see playlists that will help you improve your pronunciation, reading, and listening skills. Work on your own or discuss content with your tutor.
- Other “as needed” helps:
- We provide advocacy and support for those in need of help.
- We network with other organizations who offer services for internationals
- We share resources for internationals who need help with literacy or who wish to take college-level ESL classes for credit.
- Opening our hearts and homes to people who may be marginalized, lonely, and in need of genuine friends as they navigate living in a new place with a different language and culture.
To find out how you can serve our international community, or to refer an international friend to one of our ministries, please contact Karen Pease for assistance