We met our goal! We have raised $32,711.00 and the Davenports are now in Kenya working. Please be praying for the project completion.
Sending the Davenports
Sunset Bible Church is raising money to complete the Mburus’ house in Kenya. An essential element to this project is sending Dan Davenport, one of our elders, who is a former missionary, and a construction expert. Dan’s background makes him uniquely qualified to go overseas and oversee a construction project. To make good use of time and funds, Dan needs to be on-site for an entire month. This is a project we foresaw happening a year or two down the road. However, upcoming circumstances mean that Dan’s ability to spend a month in Kenya will no longer be feasible after January 2017. Dan approached Sunset’s elders about going while he was still able, so we prayed, discussed, and did some research. As a result, we believe this is something we need to do and that God is lining things up to send Dan in December. Dan will be traveling with his wife, Brandy and grown children, Rachel and Caleb.
In 2003, Caxton and Liz Mburu were called by God to move from Kenya to the USA and pursue theological education. This was more than a geographical shift, it was also a lifestyle shift. Following God meant sacrificing many things, one of which was a newly-begun construction project on their new house. Funds that would have completed the house were redirected to education and the initial stone structure would sit for over ten years.
After finishing their education, the Mburus returned to Kenya in 2012 as missionaries with Sunset Bible Church and Biblical Ministries Worldwide. Not only did they hope to complete the house but they now saw new ministry potential in the property. However, a shortfall in finances has made completing the house unfeasible without special help. Recently they were able to put a roof on the house and make two rooms livable. It’s now time to finish it.
Why Are We Pursuing This?
- Financial – Rental rates for an apartment in the Nairobi area range from $700 – $1000+ a month. Finishing the house is a much better use of ministry funds.
Ministry – The updated design of the house includes a guest section which will be used for visiting ministry partners and Kenyan missionaries-in-training. This will save considerable time and expense when visitors come.
- Regulatory – Originally located on the outskirts of the city, the house could sit unfinished. Today, the area has been developed and there is increasing pressure from city officials. Left unfinished, the house risks falling under new regulations.
- Quality of Life – With two rooms finished, the Mburus have a roof over their heads but they live in a construction zone that is cramped for a family with kids.
- Expertise – The Mburus would like to take advantage of the high ceilings by adding a loft in the guest section. Locally, there has been difficulty finding someone who has experience with engineering something like this.
We need to raise $20,000 by mid December, 2016. Additionally, an extra $10,000 is our stretch goal to further finish the house. The total figure of $30,000 breaks down as follows:
- $10,000 for Basic Completion – This will cover materials and local labor to finish the exterior elements of the house and remove pressure from city officials. This includes plastering, painting, windows, driveway, and the gate.
- $10,000 for Total Completion – This will cover elements that are needed for the house but not required for the project to be consider “complete.” This includes a water tank, electrical and light fixtures, cabinetry, flooring, and interior paint.
- $10,000 for Travel, Living Expenses, and Additional Needs – Trips like this always have unforeseen needs and we want to cover these and some additional known needs such as basic car repairs. Further, we need to cover transportation and living expenses for the Davenport family for the month.
How to Give
We are receiving donations between now and December 16, 2016. Please prayerfully consider contributing to this project and please be praying for God’s provision for the Mburus. There are several way to make donations:
- Check or Cash to Sunset (preferred) – Check or Cash can be placed in the offering or mailed to PO Box 64246, University Place, WA 98466. Please designate gifts to “Mburu House” (please use an offering envelope for cash).
- Online Giving to Sunset – Credit card donations can be using the following link: Donate Online. Please note that the bank takes a percentage of your credit card donations.
- Donations to Biblical Ministries Worldwide – Donations can be sent to Biblical Ministries Worldwide designated for Mburu Housing. Instructions can be found at www.biblicalministries.org